Important Mammogram Guidelines
Schedule a mammogram with St. Anthony Breast Center at St. Anthony Medical Campus in Lakewood today at 720-321-0400 or request a mammogram appointment online.
Following recommended mammogram screening guidelines are vital in detecting breast cancer early, when it is most treatable.
The American Cancer Society recommends the following breast screening guidelines:
- Yearly mammograms starting at age 40 and continuing for as long as a woman is in good health.
- Clinical breast exam (CBE) by their physician, physician assistant, nurse practitioner or certified nurse midwife about every three years for women in their 20's and 30's and every year for women 40 and over.
- Women should perform breast self-exams monthly to know how their breasts normally look and feel and report any change or abnormality to their health care provider.
- Some women, because of their family history, a genetic tendency, or certain other factors, may need mammograms at an earlier age or breast MRI's in addition to mammograms. If you are concerned about an increased risk of hereditary breast cancer based on your family history, talk with your doctor or learn more about genetic counseling for hereditary cancer.
Tips for planning your mammogram appointment:
- If you are new to the St. Anthony Breast Center, it is important that we have your most recent mammogram films so our radiologists can accurately assess any changes.
- Try not to schedule your mammogram for the week just prior to your period.
- If you take hormones, schedule your mammogram during the period you are not taking hormones.
- On the day of the exam, don't wear deodorant or antiperspirant. Some of these have substances that can show up on the x-ray as white spots.
- If you have questions or concerns about Metro Denver mammograms, referrals or how to obtain your past films, please contact us, we will be glad to assist you.