DXA Bone Density Scan
DXA, dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scan, is the most commonly used test for measuring bone mineral density. It is one of the most accurate ways predict a risk of bone fractures and to diagnosis Osteoporosis.
DXA Bone Density Scans are recommended if you have risk factors including:
- Women over age 65 or men over age 70
- Women under age 65 or men ages 50 - 70 who has risk factors such as: Bone fracture caused by normal activities, such as a fall from standing height or less ("fragility fracture") Chronic rheumatoid arthritis, chronic kidney disease, eating disorders Early menopause (either from natural causes or surgery)
- History of hormone treatment for prostate cancer or breast cancer
- Significant loss of height (See: Compression fractures of the back)
- Strong family history of osteoporosis
- Taking corticosteroid medications (prednisone, methylprednisolone) every day for more than 3 months
- Three or more drinks of alcohol per day on most days
To Schedule a DXA bone density scan call 720-321-0400 or request a Denver DXA bone scan appointment online.