St. Anthony Cancer Center Patient Experience
How can the St. Anthony Cancer Center help me?
- By focusing on your care needs in the context of your cancer.
- By bringing a full team of specialists together on your behalf.
- By delivering premier cancer care using the most scientifically and technically advanced treatments available.
- By providing access to local and national clinical trials, right here in Lakewood.
What can I expect from my first cancer center visit?
- Patient Forms - you will work with the nurse to complete all of your patient information and health history. Please bring insurance card, photo ID, a current list of medications, any disks or films and advanced directives.
- You will have an initial consult with your radiation oncologist.
- Typically you will have a CT scan 2-5 days after consult. (This may occur more quickly if a patient is in pain.) CT results will be used for with the CT simulator, which provides three and four dimensional planning capability by obtaining images of the patient while they are in the exact position they will be in for treatment. The information from the images is then used to design radiation beams with millimeter accuracy.
- An individual radiation therapy plan will begin approximately one week after your CT simulation.
- The appropriate oncology rehabilitation services and any additional support services will be implemented as necessary.
Is the Cancer Center part of clinical trials for new treatments?
Yes. St. Anthony Hospital and our oncology physicians are members of the Colorado Cancer Research Program and are part of the Centura Health Research Center. Our patients can participate in research trials without having to travel to major research institutions.
In addition to implementing the most advanced technology and comprehensive cancer treatment teams, St. Anthony Cancer Center also considered the patient experience carefully and designed our cancer care around it. Among the differences we believe you'll appreciate are:
- Ease of access. You can enter the Cancer Center directly from the parking area on the south side of Medical Plaza 1 or by the walkway connecting the building with St. Anthony Hospital. Valet parking is free for patients.
- More comfortable waiting. Our waiting area—like all St. Anthony Hospital—has been designed to make this time less stressful for patients and guests. Patient areas are considerably more private, as well. Wi-fi is free and cell phones can be used.